Friends and Family

Wow, it's amazingly simple to start a blog that you plan to keep up with on a weekly basis... and then not touch it for almost 3 weeks! So much has happened since the Peeles visited, and for the sake of not creating a pseudo-novella for you guys to read, we'll try to split up the past few weeks into a few different posts.

Shortly after the Peeles visited at the beginning of August, Meredith and I were lucky enough to get to see a friendly face from back in Chapel Hill. Dan, the guy responsible for Meredith and I meeting, was visiting his family in York, Maine, just a few miles south of us. Not only was he nice enough to take the time to come visit me with his sister, one afternoon in Portland, he also opened up his family's home in York and invited Meredith and I down one evening for a birthday/family reunion cookout. It's great to see old friends, and it's made even better when they are as fun and accommodating as the Ryan family. His family's place in York was gorgeous, his family was a delight, and York is definitely a place that Meredith and I will have to take a road trip to, one day soon.

Almost immediately after we left the Ryans, we were joined by my own parents, who came up to spend their first weekend in Maine with us. Although the trip here was riddled with storms and delays, I believe they had a great time in Maine, and I know that Meredith and I loved the company. In a matter of four days, we attempted to do as many touristy things as possible. On the first day, we made the trip to Freeport, to experience the town of LL Bean. Meredith and I had been here together once before, but only in the off-season, when the streets are only mildly crowded. Freeport during the summer is a sight to see, the town is literally centered around Bean, and seemingly every downtown building has been converted to some sort of outlet shop. I'm glad my parents got to see and experience all that is Maine's shopping city.



That night, we partook in what is quickly becoming a visitor tradition and went to Alewive's Brook Farm for a homemade lobster dinner. It was my mom's first lobster and it's always a delight to share these new experiences with those we love. The next day, we made the trip up to Rockland to see the Maine Home and Boat Show. The furniture and wooden boats were incredible! It still baffles me to see the handy work of these craftsmen doing the things that they love. It makes me miss the wooden skiff that my dad and I were building back home. Hopefully it won't be the last boat show I'm able to attend.

After relaxing and watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics that night, Meredith and I had the opportunity to spend the next day showing my parents downtown Portland and the surrounding areas. We got some pictures at the Head Light and walked all around the Old Port, taking in the sights. We capped off a fun day with an excellent dinner at my favorite local restaurant, The Good Table, where we had the opportunity to share some laughs and stories over some delicious dinners and blueberry desserts.



We're so thankful to have had those weeks with friends and family, and we're looking forward to our next guests (Savanna and Victoria!) in September.

Breathe easy!

No comments: